Are you bored of watching your computer screen in the same orientation? Want to try watching videos or movies in portrait mode? I found this way useful and comfortable while I was trying to watch a movie by laying sideways on the bed, it did help me. Also, sometimes detached or plugged in monitors can make your computer screen get stuck in a portrait mode, you want to change it. If you are looking to change or flip the computer screen, read the blog until the end about different ways to work this out. In this blog, I will explain two ways you can try rotating your computer screen on your Windows 10 PC. The first method is by changing the system device settings, and the other way is by using the keyboard shortcuts keys. You can use any method that you are comfortable with. Without any further delay, let us get started.
Rotate/ Flip Computer Screen – Portrait Mode on Windows 10
- Open the search bar by clicking on the magnifying glass icon on the bottom left corner of your system screen.
- Now in the search bar, type “rotate screen” and scroll down till you find an option that says “Change the orientation of the display” click on that option.
- Now you can see an option that says “Open”, click on the open option.
- You will then be directed to the Display settings page. Below the Display, you can see many options and among those, click on Display orientation.
- Under Display orientation, you can see many dropdown options. You can choose any of the options. There are the following options you can choose from.
Screen Modes on Windows 10
Landscape: This is a general and default orientation in which you usually see your computer screen.
Portrait: But clicking this option can change the orientation to portrait mode by rotating the screen 270 degrees.
Landscape (flipped): When you click on the landscape flipped mode, it will flip your computer upside-down by rotating the screen 180 degrees.
Portrait (flipped): When you click on the portrait flipped mode, it will flip your computer vertically upside-down by rotating the screen 90 degrees.
Choose any option accordingly, and as soon as you click on that and select save, the screen will be rotated. If you want to go back to the default screen you had, you can press the Esc key on your keyboard. If there are multiple monitors, choose the right monitor from the Display menu before changing the orientation.
Using Keyboard Shortcuts to Rotate your computer Screen in Windows 10:
One more easy way to flip the computer screen is by using the keyboard shortcut keys. There are many key shortcuts you can use to rotate your computer’s screen. A few of them are Ctrl + Alt + upward arrow, Ctrl + Alt+ downward arrow, Ctrl +Alt right Arrow and Ctrl + Alt + left Arrow. Now let us briefly understand what each arrow specifically does.
- Ctrl + Alt + Upward Arrow: Pressing these three keys together will allow you to rotate the screen in the horizontal orientation ( the default rotation).
- Ctrl + Alt + Downward Arrow: Pressing these three keys together, will allow you to rotate the screen in the vertical orientation. It flips your screen up-side-down by rotating it to 180 degrees.
- Ctrl + Alt + Right Arrow: Pressing these three keys together will allow you to rotate the screen 270 degrees from the default orientation.
- Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow: Pressing these three keys together will allow you to rotate the screen 90 degrees from the default orientation.
I would say that, than changing or rotating the system orientation through settings, it is easier to change it by making use of the shortcut keys available on the keyboard, as we can do it in less time and by just using the three keys, while using the keys as well you can press on Esc to get back your default computer orientation.
These are the two ways you can use to change the computer orientation. I prefer using the shortcut keys unless I have a problem with my keyboard. But you can also use the other method where you change it through the device settings. Some people might face an issue using the keys as few PCs do not support it. To check if your system supports it. Right-click on the screen and select the support option. Under that, select hotkey Manager. If you do not see the shortcut keys guide for rotation, this feature is probably unavailable in your system. So you will have no other option, but to change it through the device settings. I hope this blog about how you can flip or rotate your computer screen has helped you with all that you are looking for. Let me know through comments if you know any other ways to achieve this.