A ping test is done to know if there are any issues with your computer network or to check the quality of your internet. When a ping test is done, it shows you the latency. The less the latency number, your gaming experience will be smooth. Not only to the gaming, but it is also important to have the less latency number if you want video call run without any lagging. Here is the guide on how to run ping test on windows 10.
So what happens when you run the ping test is, your computer will send bytes of data to your host and records the time it takes it to receive the ‘pong’ back from your host. This is called as ping time. The less the ping number is, the more fast your internet connection is.
How To Run Ping Test on Windows 10 Laptop / PC
Follow the below steps to do the ping test on your Windows 10 computer.
- On the bottom left side of your screen, you will be able to see Windows search. It is located on the toggle.
- Click on it and type ‘CMD’ in the search bar. Now click on Enter.
- Now the command prompt page will open. It will be back background with white fonts.
- Now if you want to check the ping test of your computer internet connection, type ping with space after that and then IP address of your computer. Eg: ping 126.96.36.199
- If you want to check the ping test of a website, type ping with space after that and the website URL. Eg: ping facebook.com.
- Now tap on enter and the results will be displayed on the screen.
How to read the Ping results:
Normally when you do the ping test, your computer will send four requests to the servers. All the results will be displayed in milliseconds. Minimum, maximum and the average ping response time will also be displayed on the screen. If there is a problem with your internet connection, then you will be able to know it by seeing the four ping results. One of the ping results may take longer or the ping response time will be longer.
If you are not sure whether the problem lies in your internet connection or any specific website, first do the ping test to the Google servers. It will determine if there is a problem with the internet connection. You can do this by typing ping 188.8.131.52 in the command prompt page.
Common Ping error commands:
The below are the most common ping error commands you will see if the ping test fails.
- Request timed out: If the ping test takes more than 4000 milliseconds which is the default time, then the result of the test will be request timed out.
- Unknown host: If the requested host name is not recognized, then this error will come. Check once again if you have entered the name correctly.
- General failure: This happens when there is a problem with your computer TCP/IP settings or with router/ WiFi.
- TTL expired on transit: When your packet exceeds the number of hops allowable, then this error occurs.
- <destination> is unreachable: This error occurs when your internet connection provider is unable to give the router an IP address. Check your internet connection on your router and if the error still persists, you may need to contact your internet provider.
Hope we have covered everything about how to do the ping test on your Windows 10 computer. If you have any issues with the article, then please comment below your queries. We will get back to you as soon as possible.