You cannot continue to back up your files and OS if your backup disk is full. If you have file History enabled in your system, you would already have many backup versions of the systems and other files and there are chances that your backup disk might be full and will not allow you to store any more files. Also, the other data backup files, including the app data, will keep on getting stored in file history, taking up so much of the backup disk, which could leave your system and data at risk. Here are the methods on how to Delete Backup files in Windows 10.
To avoid this situation, though you are a bit lazy, you should spend some time removing backup files from the storage to create some space for more backup files. Following this way, you will not face any kind of issues or trouble while backing data further or while creating more backup files. In this blog, I will discuss different ways to delete Backup files in Windows 10. There are three common ways to delete them, and I will briefly explain all three methods, and you can follow the method you find comfortable.
How to Delete the Backup Files in Windows 10
Method 1: Delete Backup files in windows 10 using Built-in tools:
Windows 10 has a snap-in utility that allows you to automatically create backups of the files on Windows OS and the hard drive as long as the schedule setting is on.
- Click on the start button and select Settings, and under settings, choose update and security.
- Now select the backup page and select Go to the Backup and Restore (Windows 10) link.
- Under the storage symbol, you will see an option called Manage space in the Backup section. Click on it
- Now a window will pop up. It is the Manage Windows Backup Disk Space, where you will have two options, View backups and Change Settings.
- Click on View backup, and you can see a list of all the backup files and their file size, click on the backup files that you want to select and click on the delete option, available next to the list.
- You can delete the files by choosing even the second option, that is, change settings
- Clicking on the delete option will allow Windows 10 to delete the old backups automatically
- Now you can see two options that will pop-up to delete the windows image backup. The first one says that Windows will manage the space used for backup history, which is selected by default.
- The next option says that the system will only keep the latest system image and delete the older images of the system. But deleting the older system image can only clear up to 30% of the space as it will not take up more space than that.
- You can choose any of the options and free the disk space by deleting the backup file and system versions backup in Windows 10
Method 2: Deleting the file history backup by using a command prompt
Using command prompt to delete the backup files is one of the simplest methods. Follow the steps and it will hardly take you 2 minutes to complete the task.
- Go to the start button and search for cmd. Press enters, which will open the command prompt window in your system.
- Now type FhManagew.exe-cleanup (time in days) command. The data of the number of days that you want to delete should be mentioned in the time. After typing the command and pressing enter, it will delete all the backups of file history related to the time you mentioned. Here I will show you some examples of how you can use the commands in the command prompt.
Command to delete data older than a month- FhManage.exe-cleanup 30
Delete command to delete complete data expect the latest- FhManage.exe-cleanup 0
Command to delete the data older than a week- FhManage.exe-cleanup 7
Delete data older than a year- FhManage.exe-cleanup 365
Method 3: Delete backup files in Windows 10 from file history
File History automatically stores your documents, pictures, and other files to your user account. This is a utility in Windows 8 and Windows 10. So, as the files get stored at some point, you will have to delete the backup files from the stored disk to free up space. Here is how you do it.
- Open the search from the start and type Control Panel.
- In the control panel, you will find many options from which to select system and security.
- Under system and security, you will find File history. Select the file history option.
- Now you will find options like restore personal files, select drive, etc. Below these, there is an option called Advanced settings. Click on it.
- Now you will see a pop-up that allows you to set time for how long backup files can be saved in file history. You can change it.
- Suppose you keep it for six months, then the files which cross six months will automatically be deleted.
- Apart from this, you will also see a CleanUp option. If you select it, you will get a list of files stored in the file history.
- Choose the files you want to remove and select delete to remove the backup files that are not required in the system.
You can follow these three methods to delete backup files in your Windows 10 to free up the disk space. Make sure you delete the files at least once in 2 months. So that you need not wait till you can no longer create new backup files. Also, deleting the backup files regularly can help the system be in good condition. Else it can cause risk to your operating system. I hope this blog about deleting backup files in Windows 10 has provided you with the information you are looking for . Let me know how this blog was helpful to you and which method you find more handy and comfortable to use.