We are all aware that with the increase in virtual conversations and virtual office meetings, the number of Skype users has increased. Every business prefers either zoom calls or Skype calls for official meetings. Most of us are now familiar with usage of Skype, unlike before but many are concerned about their usernames. Even though it doesn’t affect us much, we still would want to choose our Skype username or sometimes will want to modify it. Most of us find it confusing to change the Skype username, and if you are one among them, you landed on the right page.
Change Skype Username
In this blog, I will explain how you can change your Skype username on the PC using the Skype app, in the mobile app, and by using the web browser. You can go with anything you are comfortable with. So stick with the blog till the end to know the different ways to change it using different devices. Your Skype username is not the same as your Skype display name. You can alter your display name at any time, and it will be visible to other Skype users when they connect with you. Because Microsoft acquired Skype in 2011 and required a Microsoft account to sign up for Skype, your Skype username is the email address you used to create your Microsoft account.
As a result, you can only change your Skype username or Skype ID if you also update your Microsoft account’s email address. If you joined up for a Skype account before Microsoft bought it, you’d most likely have a non-email-based username that you won’t be able to alter unless you start a new account, which will mean losing your old contacts. But here are a few ways you can try to change it. Let us get started with the process of how you can modify your username on Skype.
The stepwise process to change your Skype username on your PC, app (Windows or Mac)
- Install the Skype app on your PC and launch it.
- When you open the app, on the upper left corner, you can see the Skype profile image or an icon where your name will be displayed( in letters).
- Click on either of them and on the left corner, you can find a menu of options under your profile. Among those, click on your Skype profile.
- Under your picture, you can see an edit icon( a pencil symbol). Click on it and type the new name which you want as your Skype username.
- After changing the name, you click on the check mark on the text box’s right, and the changes are saved.
- It might take a while to display your username after the changes are saved.
The step wise process to change name on the Web:
This process will not work for Skype usernames that were created before Microsoft acquired Skype and established a link between Microsoft and Skype accounts. On the other hand, these usernames do not have to be displayed. So you do not need to be concerned about it much. Coming to the process follow the below steps.
- Login into the Skype official site, Skype.com
- On the corner of the screen at the top right of the window, you can see your profile name. Click on the icon.
- You can see a drop-down menu that is displayed. Among the list select, My Account.
- It will redirect you to a page where you can find the settings and preferences option, under which you can find the option for editing the profile. Click on the edit profile link.
- Then it takes you to the profile page, where on the right side, you can find two options, change password and edit your profile.
- Click on edit profile, enter the new username in the text box, and press on the save option available on the side in the green color.
The step wise process to change Skype username on your mobile app:
Changing your username using the mobile app is easy compared to changing it using a web app, browser, etc. Note that only your Skype display name is changed using this process, your Skype username or Skype ID is changed by this, they will remain the same. While altering your Skype display name, it affects how other users see you when you join, they can also modify how they view your display name once it’s added to their contacts.
- If you don’t have the Skype app on your mobile, you can download it from the google play store. It is available for free.
- After installation, open the Skype app and log in using your credentials.
- After logging in into your personal account, you can see the Skype profile on the top of the screen. Click on the profile icon.
- You can see many options open and from those select Skype profile.
- This will open your profile, where you can see an edit option below the profile. On the right corner, tap on that.
- In the text box visible, type the new username and click on the check mark.
- Your username will be successfully changed, and you can see it after refreshing the app or after a while.
check it: Record Zoom meeting on android& iPhone
These are the three different ways you can change your username using different devices like PC, mobile. Unless it is an official meeting and presentations are involved, I prefer Skype mobile app to make any kind of modifications etc. As I feel it is more handy and comfortable, you can use any of these methods to change the username of your personal Skype account but if you want to change your Skype business username, you cannot do it by yourself as that will be created by your employer while creating your Skype business profile.
You cannot change the display picture as well. You can reach out to IT support or the person who assigned you the business email address. They can change it and modify it as you want it to be . I hope this blog about how you can change your username is helpful. Let me know which you find the easiest way among those mentioned in the blog.