Most social media apps do not allow us to change the username once created, and there are a few apps that create the username by default as soon as we create our account. But on Instagram, you have the feature where you can modify your username any number of times you want. Instagram username is also called Instagram handle Name. Instagram username is different from the Instagram display name. Here in this article by Techmumma gives you a complete guide on how to change Instagram handle Name.
Change Instagram Handle Name:
The Instagram display name is what you see below your profile picture, whereas the Instagram username is the one you see on the top left corner of your app. The Instagram handle name need not be unique and cannot be modified more than twice at a time. In case you attempt to change your Instagram display name more than twice at a time, it will say that you can get it only after 14 days. It is not the case with an Instagram username. You can change the handle name of your Instagram profile anytime and any number of times. But it should be unique. You cannot have the same username as any other Instagram users.
It is sometimes hard to get the username you want but it’s worth a try because if we are lucky enough no user might have taken that username so you will be able to get it as soon as you enter it without multiple warnings that username is not available, but it is taken it will show you the error till you type the unique user id, So by considering the limited usernames, you can create the username you want. You should follow some rules while creating it, or Instagram will not let you create the username. This blog will show you how you can change your Instagram username using your mobile and desktop. Let us get started.
How to change Instagram handle Name in your mobile:
It is a simple process to change the username on Instagram. Follow the process that I am going to mention below to modify your Instagram handle Name easily.
Steps to be followed:
- You might already have the app on your mobile if you are reading this blog. Just in case you don’t, you can download it from the google play store or the app store.
- After installing, search for the app and open it.
- When you open the app, you will see five icons at the bottom of the screen. They are the home icon where you can see all the feeds that your followers post, the next icon is the search icon where you can see the explore page, and you get suggested posts as per your likes and search.
Options to be selected to change Instagram Name:
- Next is the reels icon where you get the suggested reels, and besides that, you see a like icon in heart shape, there you can see the following requests and who liked your pics, etc., and next comes the main option you can use to change your username.
- You can see the profile icon with your profile picture in the bottom right corner, click on that, and your profile page will open. Below your profile picture, you will see an option called edit profile below your post, followers, and following options. Click on the edit profile, which will take you to the edit profile page.
- You can see different options like Name, username, Bio, change profile picture, etc.
- Click on the username and type the username that you want it to be. If some other user already takes it, it will show you that the username is already taken.
- Try using other usernames, and when you type the available username, it will allow you to change it, change the username and click on the blue tick mark that is visible on the top right corner of the page
How to change on your desktop:
Using a phone to change the Instagram username is more comfortable, but you can also change it on your laptop.
Steps to be followed:
- Open Instagram in your browser. As soon as you open it, it will ask you to log in to your account.
- If you haven’t logged in before in the browser or if your credentials are not saved. Enter your email id / username or mobile number and password to log in.
- The same option that was mentioned above will be shown on the right side of your screen. When you enter the account, the home page will be opened by default. From the option available on the side, choose the option with your profile picture.
- When you click on your Profile, you will get a few options like Profile, saved, settings, etc.
- Click on Settings, and you will see the page open where you can change your Profile. In the settings page, you can see many options like Name, username, bio, website, etc.. Click on the username space bar and type the username you like.
- The username should only contain alphabets, numbers, special characters, etc. It will not allow you to include spaces. So choose it according to the given rules. When you type the unique username, it will show a green mark that you can set as your username. Click on the submit option available in the bottom of the options. Refresh the browser, and you can see the new username that you changed.
In case, while modifying the existing username, if Instagram shows you that the chosen username is already taken by other user, try adding a few numbers to it, may be dots to the username to make it unique, as the usernames are given based on the first come, first serve basis you can keep checking once in a while if that username is available because the user can change the username or even delete the account so at the time you can take the username. I hope this blog made it easy for you to change your Instagram handle name without any hurdles. Let me know through comments.